Sunday, January 10, 2021

A Great Time to Hike

 Wayne and I have been determined to go hiking at least once a week this winter and staying right here in Vernon is a great option. It seems odd this late into the season, but the only time that we have used snowshoes was on the Vernon Rec trails. Even though we were all geared up, we could have managed the outing with a good pair of winter boots. The trails have recently changed course in back of the Rec due to construction in the area. Wayne and I have been trying to determine where the new configuration loops around and heads back to the Rec. We have been on the trails twice this season, and both times had to backtrack rather than follow the snowmobile trails to Newton. We will have budget more time in the future and trek in a bit further. 

It was suggested to me that a better way reach the falls at Roaring Brook Wildlife Refuge this time of year is to take that first left when the road splits. Apparently this option stays above the falls and eliminates the need to cross the brook which is currently "roaring." I'm tempted to give it a try in spite of my being nervous about hiking around icy falls. The logging road which runs past the entrance to the White trail, is currently deeply rutted. I wouldn't relish hiking too long in those conditions and am hopeful that trail to the left is in better condition. I'll most likely wear a good pair of waterproof boots, my new crampons and use hiking poles. I'll also need to plan to start in the morning so that I won't feel rushed by fading light. 

I have noticed my neighbors heading out across the field on Nordic skis towards the gentleman's farm at the end of Lily Pond road. There they are able to  pick up the snowmobile trail that comes down past the farm from Huckle Hill. This trail also crosses through the Village and back to Huckle Hill road where the ball fields are. From this point, crossing Lily Pond Rd will get you to the Rec Trails. Last Autumn, Wayne and I hiked a distance on this trail. We picked up the trail on the North side of the town forest where the forest road and the White trail meet. When you hike a right there, instead of entering Roaring Brook straight ahead, it will put you on the trail.  I'm not convinced that I would try that end of the trail on Nordic skis however as it is very steep! I suppose what I am trying to say here, is that Vernon has an interconnected trail system with enough variety to satisfy those who relish a challenge and those seeking a relaxing family stroll. Here is a link to a map of Vernon's 25 miles of snowmobile and ski trails.

It has taken me more paragraphs than I had intended to get to my favorite place to hike in Vernon and so I think that I will stop writing and just post the peaceful photographs that I took last week in the town forest where the winter light is perfectly uplifting and the air crisp- Norma Manning


















No comments:

Post a Comment