Monday, March 1, 2021

The Rec Trails to the Vernon Dam

 On the last grey day of February, Wayne and I decided that we should hike the lower 142 East - West trail. We had already hiked from Silver Lane to the town forest which was uphill both ways and so thought it would be nice to hike on flat land. There was some discussion about footwear and ultimately it was decided that our Kamiks without snowshoes would do the job. The forecast predicted forty degree weather and so we both wore light hats and skipped the layers. I hadn't thought of it until well into the hike, but we were closing the loop on several previous blogs and in the end, actually walked full circle. 

Snow cover was patchy from the start.


Before we get too far on our way, I want to mention that on this trip Wayne and I saw a pair of Bald Eagles on a nest. Because they are still under protection in VT I won't say where on the trail we came upon them. Let's go for a three hour walk shall we?


The Rec trails have interesting trees, rocks, vernal pools and wetlands. You can expect to find oak, birch, hemlock and beach trees.


I'm not really sure what happened to this birch along the trail. Perhaps someone practiced on it with a hatchet creating vertical marks where mustache shaped ones should be. 


I appreciate it when landowners clearly post signs when they prefer that people stay off of their property. Wayne and I had been concerned about walking a snowmobile trail; but honoring the wishes of landowners kept things friendly.


One last landmark before leaving the Rec Trails and continuing on the green diamonds marking the vast trail. The area after this is filled with interesting ledge and shallow ravines. Keeping an eye out for wetlands kept us occupied in these woods.


A vernal pool looked to be forming in the distance. We stayed on the trail however, hoping to find another closer to it.



With yesterday's rain, streams emerged from under the ice and snow.


Erosion is evident near to the stream as shown by these exposed Eastern Hemlock roots. Silt pollution is problematic for fish and amphibians.


I hadn't realized just how much rock was back here, but if you are like me and you love rocks, then I think that that you would agree that this would be a lovely place to visit in the summer.


No trespassing signs come in many forms and it's best to stay alert for them. Here a random clearing in the woods had a log propped on top of a post.



I've seen prettier stone walls in the woods but this one was ever so clever with segments of wall being built between ledges. That's one way to save on rocks and work!




The forest began to change to predominantly Eastern Hemlock and Eastern Mountain Laurel. We did see mature Black Cherry, White Pine and Oak on other parts of the trail, though I didn't take pictures of them.



An enchanting stretch of trail!


I was on a guided tour in the Black Gum Swamps with a lot of adults and one elementary school aged child. It didn't take long before I started to pay attention to that boy because his curiosity was uncovering more than I had hoped to see. It was he who taught me that if you see something interesting on the front of a tree, be sure to go around the back of it for the complete story. 




I was starting to wonder when we would intersect Newton Rd on this hike. When we stopped for a break, Wayne let me know that while I was lost, he had looked at the map and we weren't going to cross Newton.

I thought that this Eastern Hemlock in various stages of healing was fascinating!


Wayne and I agreed that crossing Island Meadow Brook was the most interesting moment of the entire hike. The woods opened up into widened flat wetlands area with an open meadow containing milkweed beyond. I think that it is important to note that this brook seems to have been renamed Indian Meadow Brook. In early papers it is named Island but in current maps it is Indian.

It was quite the surprise when I realized that I had just this week, while working on my blog about a healing pool, located this same brook on Stebbins Road.




This is the time to plant milkweed seed and this field looks to be purposefully set aside for pollinators. 



Ahh a sign of hope! I think that I know how far it is from the tracks to 142.



Once we were hiking in a small wood in Vernon, we came upon a museum of sorts. I spent a considerable amount of time photographing the old cars, discarded machinery and household items like sinks and refrigerators. I was in heaven! When we walked out of the woods, we were met by the owner who wanted to know what we were doing in there. I was too ashamed to admit that I was taking pictures, so only told him that I was admiring a bit of history. I never did publish that find as I wanted to respect the privacy of someone who turned out to be a very nice and interesting resident. I came upon similar things here.





State land marker

The land here looks to be swampy, but there were also what looked to be vernal pools. It's difficult to tell if standing water is year round with everything frozen. 

Passing near state lands that were more open. 

Finally we arrive at 142 with the closed School House Grocery in sight

With 142 Crossed, Wayne decided that we should press on and go all the way to the Vernon Dam. I was tired but the thought of another chance to locate the healing pool in the Stebbins Road area was a pretty good carrot on a stick!


The trail crossed Stebbins Rd and ran next to the power lines

Spring tease!




We began to see markers along the brook. Further down, the trail had been moved away from the brook.


Turkey tracks with a non descript predator track in the upper left

The northern stretch of Stebbins Rd was in sight, but the trail lead further east.

It was disappointing to not find additional prospects for the pool; but we did come upon an opening that is clearly visible on Google Earth. Perhaps only a sand pit with melting snow collecting.



More spring like things. Just look at those green twigs and red buds!

Finally we reached Stebbins Rd which we needed to walk along towards 142, until the trail picked up again on the CT River side beyond where Island Meadow Brook intersects with the road.


CT River is sight beyond the planned new construction at Vernon Green.








I'm thinking that these are racoon tracks.


By way of letting readers know our location on the trail, I took this picture of the little white church on 142.

Is this a branch of Town Brook or another brook that is too minor to make the water resources maps?

Bridge over Town Brook which is named Lower Salmon Brook in old Vernon documents.


Vernon Hydro Station

Eastern Cottonwood or Big Toothed Aspen are large softwood trees that grow near water. These old trees were impressive for their scarred bark and size.

Though I don't appear to be so, I was really thrilled to come across this giant! I guess my exhaustion was showing.

Ferns help us to picture what the forest floor looks like in the summer.

Cold Brook

After three hours of hiking, the Cold Brook Store on Governor Hunt Rd, marks the end of today's journey on the 142 green diamond vast trail. 

There is nothing left to do but take the paved path home.

Resources


No comments:

Post a Comment