Friday, September 10, 2021

To An Important Someone

I have a message to deliver to an important someone: I like your wings. In fact, I like everything about your wings. 

When a seemingly unrelated beautiful thing collides with another without ever having met and it somehow produces the answer that the other is seeking, that's called serendipity. 

To the child who spent a warm summer's day by the water studying and collecting smooth pebbles and  who also selected a perfect stick for a day of adventure then left your treasure at the base of a certain tree where I was sure to spy it while placing my fishing pole in the back of my car thus stopping me in my tracks and prompting me to capture it with my camera, I want to tell you that I see your wings and they are wonderful!

I hadn't immediately known exactly what it was that I wanted to say to you; but Kindergarten is a magical place full of questions, exploration and vision. As it so happened (while studying the lifecycle of a butterfly), our room was filled with scientists and possibilities who were busily imagining and coloring the most remarkable things. It was then as I moved across the room in a most unremarkable way, that I heard one say to another, "Do you like my wings?" It was at that question that I caught my breath for the slightest of moments, for I at once knew. -Norma Manning 

1 comment: