Sunday, February 23, 2020

Eagles in Our Backyard

When I lived in Colorado, John Denver was dreamy and The Eagle and the Hawk was the song that dreams were made of. I dreamt of seeing my first wild eagle in flight and I was certain my dream would come true the summer I worked and lived with Grand Mesa Y.C.C. near Grand Junction. It did not.

Forty years later I routinely see mature eagles in flight.  There is often an adult flying over the fields between 142 and Governor Hunt road that drops low over the school children's heads at recess. Now and then one of the kids stops and points to the sky; but for the most part they never take notice and in my estimation that's not a bad thing. Though still protected, the Bald Eagle was removed form the endangered species list in 2007.  A success story before their time, our students in Vernon have always known eagles to be in their backyard.

I'm a notoriously poor eagle photographer, but managed to zoom in on this nest in Vernon. The land is posted so either I need a better camera or some generous readers to contribute their photographs. - Norma Manning
A Bald Eagle's nest can bee seen in the tree past the railroad tracks

 Bald Eagles lay eggs between March and May in VT  

No comments:

Post a Comment