Friday, March 27, 2020

Bird Observations and Pictures by Paul Miller

For the last few years I have set up a blind for picturing birds behind our house.  It has been used to photograph quite a variety of species and also variations within such.  It is interesting as well to notice the variations from year to year and the changes over my lifetime. For example, last year birds were numerous with several I had not expected to see at a bird feeder.  This year very few birds were here.

When I was young, Starlings were just beginning to be evident.  My grandmother called them "Spatsies" and welcomed them. Today they are a serious nuisance.

Until recently Red-belied Woodpeckers had not been seen anywhere in the Northeast.  Today they are one of our more common woodpeckers.

Several years ago I started building Bluebird houses getting positive results.  Last year I think there were possibly seven or eight families on the Miller Farm.  When I was young, there was occasionally a pair and then for years there were none.  Thanks to citizen efforts to build houses, Bluebird populations have grown. Since they are relatively friendly,  I am able to picture them at my convenience for part of the year.

As a youth I don't remember having Mockingbirds at the farm.  However now their entertaining chatter is common.  I do have to chase them out of my blueberries, but that is a small expense for the joy that they bring.

Feeding birds during the winter has become a great hobby for many as well as a help for hungry birds.
 -Paul Miller and his family are well recognized for their interest and participation in conservation in Vernon, VT.

Male Bluebird by Paul Miller

Mockingbird at nest by Paul Miller
Starling by Paul Miller


Male Red-bellied woodpecker by Paul Miller



No comments:

Post a Comment