Tuesday, April 21, 2020

Bridges

When I was a young teenager living in Colorado our family went on a hike that of the many hikes I have tackled or wandered through, has clung to me like burdocks in a long haired dog's coat. We came upon what I remember as a river, but upon reflection was most probably a swift flowing stream. My family pushed on ahead of me jumping from rock to rock crossing the water. At first I  removed my shoes to wade through the water but it seemed formidable. My father growing impatient told me to jump, that he would catch me if I missed. Later I asked my father why he hadn't caught me, "I didn't want to get wet." he admitted.

It's not that my sister remembers that day differently, she doesn't remember it at all. Claire once wrote a paper in school where she explained that her scars weren't ugly, her scars were proof that she was living an active life. While I used to pretend that I had broken my leg because I wanted to seem more interesting, Claire had actually fallen out of the rear facing seat of our station wagon and chased after the car until she was noticed doing so. How was a younger sister supposed to compete with that?

My mother and I have this thing where upon my arrival in her home, she suggests, "let's have a nice cup of tea." It's code for, It's so nice to see you, let's take a minute, slow down and catch up about nothing in particular. My sister on the other hand suggests a short bike ride to Canada or perhaps a quick  hike to Manitou Springs. The funny thing is that mom who grew up in Barre, lived in and traveled all over Europe and the US. She was an avid skier, loved boating, water sports, dancing and rode bikes into her senior years when she traded in sports for grandchildren. The fact is, when I turned 40 my mom told me, "Norma, its time for you to start drinking coffee. I have been drinking one cup of morning coffee now for 16 years. 

It's Tuesday, "Wake up Cousin Norma!" Okay Cousin Corralie but it's just 6:00 I think. Instead of answering her with that, I decide to grab the dogs harnesses and go for a walk to Scott road before the rain starts. Wayne and I had a fire in the backyard last night and watched the stars come out. I had spent a lot of my weekend following a conversation on the Vernon Vermont Facebook group about Peter Brown hearing gunfire and perhaps a cannon being fired. Someone wrote, "Doesn't turkey season start soon?" Before all of that ruckus began Wayne and I went for a walk along the backside of Hatchery pond, relocated our ice shanty which caused me to do some transplanting of shrubs. Wayne installed a hundred gallon fish pond that I have been thinking about for while, we took another walk to Lily pond, this time starting from Lily Pond rd. On that walk I once again pleaded my case for acquiring chickens and instantly fell into my mother's council, "If you have chickens you'll never be able to go anywhere!" I just smile and ask Wayne, "Why would I want to go anyplace else?" Wayne having walked 35 years by my side, doesn't miss his stride and responds, "Luna and Ginny won't have them."

I think I'll fix a nice cup of tea and call my sister, Claire is learning how to garden and has asked for help. - Norma Manning

A more challenging crossing on the backside of Hatchery pond

Wayne makes his way across a makeshift bridge at the Hatchery

Footbridge trail in the town forest

Ginny and Luna in no particular hurry





No comments:

Post a Comment