Saturday, May 16, 2020

Mid May at the Town Forest

I decided to take one last trip to the town forest before the flying teeth commenced their annual frenzied feast.  With last nights storm and temperatures finally rising to the short wearing range, I'd say we got there just in time. There is still plenty of mud up there and it looks to be a good year for bugs and the things that eat them. Speaking of that, I am still batting zero when it comes to spying those paparazzi avoidant vernal pool creatures. It seems I'm going to have to go back in with a quality bug spray and a head net.

I just want to mention that while walking about I did recognize two invasive species  Buckthorn and Barberry. As painful as this seems, it is important for the health of Vernon's ponds, swamps, fields and forests that all invasive species on your property be removed. I'm a bit of a hypocrite here as the previous owners of our place had planted Barberry, Honeysuckle, Burning Bush, Norway Maple, crazy aggressive ground covers and many flowers. Though I have removed a lot, I still haven't completed the job. I'm not talking about all ornamental (non native) plants here, only those that willingly and profusely propagate beyond your chosen planting site. Wind, water, birds and mammals are all common seed dispersers, so it's really difficult to predict the impact near and far of plants in your yard. One trick that I have learned is that for every hole I create digging out an invasive species, I fill it back in with a beneficial plant such as high bush blueberry.

Let's go on a picture walk with the expectation that readers will fill in the captions where I am unable to and even venture to correct me where I got it wrong. I'm pretty easy going when it comes to being reeducated on these things so please do not hesitate. -Norma Manning

Ostrich Fern

Cinnamon Fern with swamp in background

Lower Black Gum Swamp

Mountain Laurel 

Beech



Sweet Fern

Dogwood?

Hobble Bush



Bluets and wild strawberry?



Serviceberry flower with Laurel in the background

Violet

Blueberry and Canada Mayflower

Haskins overlook

No comments:

Post a Comment