Friday, July 23, 2021

Residents in Nature part four

 On April 10th, a half dozen dirt bikers met us on the last leg of our hike from Miller Farm to the town forest while we were climbing (crawling really) up our last hill out of Roaring Brook Wildlife Management Area.  Seeing how fast these guys were traveling, I began to wonder how much a couple of these bikes would cost us. 



If you have ever driven past me while I am juggling cucumbers and squash and two dogs, you know that I have stopped by to check out the fresh vegetables that Vicky has set out on the side of Pond road. Vicky was selecting forsythia branches for cutting when I asked to take her picture. I thanked her for all of her fresh garden vegetables in past summers. She told me that the reason she has a garden is to share with others. She mentioned that each year it gets harder for her to pull the weeds in her roadside garden, which is a pretty good reminder for neighbors like me to stop by and lend a helping hand.

Green Up volunteers, Vickie, Tenely, Tricia, Jace and Mason came through the village on May 1st. Thank you very much for making our town a greener place for everyone!  I sure hope that you got that rock out of your shoe Neighbor! 

Fish Stories. Wayne was joined by another fisherman at the Vernon dam fish ladder observation area on the afternoon of June 5th. Here they were scouting out several large carp. They also saw lamprey and a bass. 

When the temp pushes 90 on a Sunday morning, it's time to head for the water. That's where I met Dylan, Alissa, Griffin, Reahlynn and Lincoln cooling off on the Cold Brook end of the Vernon dam (Great River Hydro) rec area. Actually, I met their happy pup first who was still wet from a swim. They told me that the water level had dropped by a lot only twenty minutes earlier. Reah was very attached to the pink dolphin and when the breeze picked up, she kept checking in with her adults to make sure that it didn't blow away.

Maggie, Gus, P-Man and Kylee stopped in at the fish hatchery on Newton road during their long Saturday afternoon walk. Three of them agreed to having their picture taken with the pond in the background, but the fourth was only interested in munching on the fresh spring greens! 


How could I not include this little resident? I have been watching a rather shy single parent tend to its lone blue egg through blazing heat and then drenching rain. When its chick hatched I hesitated to announce the arrival for fear that it would end in the same way as other's in our yard had this season. Though his / her nest is soggy, this little American Robin seems happy and healthy. 

Driving down Broad Brook road we passed this gentleman who was walking along the road. With the recent rains, we decided to park and check out the falls. He approached us and asked if we knew where the pool was, that it had been years since he had been to it. I showed him the location of the pool which was now hidden due to the rushing high water. He sat at the edge of the pool for while and we noticed as we were getting ready to leave that he had decided to wade in. 


I guess I will round off this edition of Residents in nature with these two adventuresome hens who crossed the road to see what was on the other side. We were all caught in a shower shortly after making our acquaintance which is why I suppose that I haven't traveled too far form home myself. I hope to see you in August!



No comments:

Post a Comment