Saturday, June 6, 2020

Water Snakes in Courtship

I met a couple of Northern Water snakes on a sunny morning at the end of May. I was searching for amphibians on the vernal side of Lily pond after a cool night in the 40's and not having much luck when I noticed him in the shallows near the bank. It seemed odd that he was sticking around given my close proximity so I invited myself in even closer to take a few photographs. He let me know that I had trespassed by swimming away.  Not wanting to end our encounter, I initially held my ground and continued to watch and take pictures. I thought it was strange that he didn't go very far before he started back to his spot.

Stepping back to dryer land I saw him swim over what I had thought was a branch before, but now it definitely looked like a much bigger snake. He slid his head under her body and then back out again. She stayed motionless with the exception of her tongue. If it wasn't for her tongue I would have thought that she was dead. Her eyes were milky and her coloration on her head was closer to grey mud. The male continued to glide next to and over her for the duration of my observation. I took several videos one showed tadpoles (a food source) swimming around them which they ignored. In another video he quickly slides onto her back then she suddenly belly roles and he is flipped away. It was so quick that I only realized that it had happened after watching my videos several times. It was me who eventually moved away leaving them to do what snakes do on a sunny morning at the end of May.

I found several sources that seem to confirm my hunch that the smaller, brighter and more active snake was the male and that they they were possibly ready to mate as these snakes mate when they come out of hibernation in the early spring and into June. The female will carry and hatch her eggs internally giving birth to live young that are independent at birth.  I found a great video on water snakes and I encourage you to watch it. While Northern Water Snakes are not endangered as a group they are often mistaken for venomous Copperheads and unfortunately killed out of fear because of it. Northern Water Snakes are harmless to humans and we have proven ourselves the more dangerous of the two species.

I have heard in response to my last blog on another snake encounter, that the water snakes at Lily pond are huge and indeed they can reach almost five long. I think that I have finally found my answer to why I never see locals cooling off in the pond. -Norma Manning


The male sliding up her back

When they mate, he will wrap his tail around hers


He goes under her and over her

Female on the left, male on the right

A large variation in color and pattern exists among the species



His color seemed to change depending on where he was



Add caption


1 comment: